Friday, 21 June 2013

Manchester

Well, it's nearing the end of the study tour here in Sheffield and it's been interesting to say the least. Yesterday we explored Manchester with Tony, Emma and the rest of the students in my discipline, Arts. It was great to have a guide, and Tony accompanied us around the city centre. Like so many of the cities in England we'd already visited, Manchester had a multitude of old historic buildings each with a story to be told

Manchester Central Library

The Manchester Central Library was opened in 1934 - the rotunda-like form was inspired by the Pantheon in Rome. Inside there are stain-glassed windows depicting William Shakespeare and scenes from his plays called The Shakespeare Hall.

After having a bit of a walk around we arrived at the Art Gallery which housed a diverse array of artwork from an assortment of periods. There's English art, Flemish, Dutch, Italian and German. I particularly liked the Victorian pieces - the Pre-Raphaelites. Also the artists that were inspired by Ancient Greek, Roman times and the Far East. Frank Dickee's, Funeral of a Viking was incredible and will be a great prelude to me visiting York again on Saturday to experience the Jorvic Viking Museum. But my favourite was the giant life-size painting of the dead lion by Sir Edwin Lanseer… What a stunning painting.

The Desert - Sir Edwin Lanseer, 1849
We also checked out the People's History Museum which was great and suited everyone's interest in our group. I love the tactile aspect of museums like this - they really want people to get involved. After spending a bit of time walking around this museum, we then went shopping…

- Claire Robinson (Bachelor of Arts, Majoring English/History)

4 comments:

1. Study tours are very impossible as it helps students to learn things that are new. Staying at one location and studying there with same group of people might limit your knowledge. However, with tour like these, students are able to understand, explore and discover new things. Exploring and discovering new things will help you understand and comprehend new concepts. The beauty of online education is that it has diversity. People from all across the globe are enrolled for various programs like life experience degree programs and with such diverse force, learning gained is very solid and strong.

ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you again for all the knowledge you distribute,Good post. I was very interested in the article, it's quite inspiring I should admit. I like visiting you site since I always come across interesting articles like this one.Great Job, I greatly appreciate that.Do Keep sharing! Regards,
    ​e-learning systems

ReplyDelete
  3. I appreciate your article, it's easy to understand and detailed, thank you for sharing.
    color switch

ReplyDelete
  4. If you guys are looking for tips to help you write a college application essay, right here you'll find plenty of them.

ReplyDelete