Thursday, 13 June 2013

Disconnected!

The first three days at Sheffield Hallam university are a complete blur.  Tired from the flight over and adjusting to another time zone was very draining. There seems to be less than six hours darkness at night, so the days never seem to end. 

The most difficult adjustment has been the lack of internet and phone. I tried setting up my internet at two in the morning and promptly forgot the password the next day.  This resulted in days of trying to crack the code, which I eventually achieved, not without many tears of frustration.  Then after a week my connection timed out and a glitch appeared which wouldn't allow me to reconnect. The friendly staff in the Liberty works office reconnected me and now I will enjoy the last five days with Internet.  Fingers crossed

My other drama was the phone.  I contacted my phone provider before I left, and the lady provided me with advice to avoid accruing international roaming charges equivalent to the national debt.  She did however neglect to tell me that, in-order to use a British sim, one must have the contract unlocked.  I organized to do this over the Internet (when I got that working) and it took 24 hours.  I left the phone on airplane mode for days only turning off when I found a reliable wifi.  By this point I was very eager to talk to my family.

It took me a little while to work out that there were only two windows for contacting my children each day; in the morning before twelve or at ten-thirty at night.  Not ideal when we were day tripping, but handy when we had morning lectures.  Initially they missed me a lot, sending me many messages a day.  My daughter even skyped me when I was on the bus heading out of Bendigo.  They have settled down into a routine now and aren't fussed, as long as I assure them that I am missing them and buying gifts.  I am enjoying the space and time away from the hectic routine of home, but some days feel as though I have leapt from the fire-pan into the fire.   
- Donna Clusker (Bachelor of Urban, Rural and Environmental Planning)

5 comments:

1. Hi, I do think this is an excellent website. I stumbledupon it ;) I am going to return once again since i have saved as a favorite it. Money and freedom is the greatest way to change, may you be rich and continue to help others.
    http://www.indobayi.com

ReplyDelete
  2. Mohon ijin berpromosi. service Ac segala jenis merk. kami service Ac mencakup wilayah coverage seluruh Surabaya, Gresik, Sidoarjo. kami juga menerima jasa service perbaikan AC bongkar dan pasang AC. pekerjaan kami cepat, tepat, profesional, harga kompetitif di banding harga jasa luaran.
    service ac split sidoarjo
    tukang service ac sidoarjo
    service ac surabaya sidoarjo
    service ac surabaya selatan
    service ac surabaya timur
    service ac surabaya barat
    service ac surabaya utara
    service ac kota surabaya

SPLIT-TYPE AIR CONDITIONERS
    MULTI-SPLIT AIR CONDITIONERS
    CHILLED WATER FAN COIL UNITS
    VRF AIR CONDITIONERS
    CHILLERS
    WINDOW-TYPE AIR CONDITIONERS

JASA LAS
    JASA LAS BEKASI

http://jualjasaacsurabaya.blogspot.com
    Segera hubungi kami, dan kami akan datang kerumah Anda 24 Jam Non Stop.
    (Hari Sabtu / Minggu / Hari Libur buka)
    PIN BBM : 54BE0B4B / 5474CD93 / TELP : 085645475574

Martabak Paling Enak di Jakarta
    Tempat Tidur Minimalis
    Tempat Tidur Minimalis

ReplyDelete
  3. I do think this is an excellent content in the website. http://niceforkids.com

ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

Delete