Saturday 8 June 2013

I decided to write my blog entry when I was actually in Dubai rather than before I had left Melbourne, as I honestly didn't know what to expect. And I'm glad that I waited because this city had absolutely blown my mind. The ridiculously over-the-top displays of wealth, such as the aquarium and ice skating rink in the Mall, are completely awe-inspiring. I found the Dubai Mall to be a fascinating melting pot of religion, culture, Western influence and capitalism. A complete enigma.

My favourite experience in the Emirates (aside from the night souq) was walking through the hustle and car horns and bright lights and music of a Dubai Saturday night, and there was a call to prayer playing over a loud speaker. Everyone was rushing to the mosque to pray. It was such a poignant reminder that underneath all the consumerism and capitalism of Dubai, religion remained the foundation.

I am looking forward to heading to Sheffield, and being in a country where I understand the currency and the language. I am most excited about Haworth Parsonage and the trip to Chatsworth, as they completely play into my English major. But I'm really just keen to be surrounded by so much history, and so many opportunities to soak up that heritage. I am expecting the tour to be quite a learning curve. I really cannot wait to get there (and off this damn plane)...

- Cloe Timperley (Bachelor of Arts)

9 comments:

1. You should continue sharing your posts. Your blog is awesome. Just like this https://resume-chief.com/blog/college-student-resume website.

ReplyDelete
  2. YOu have a great blog. I want you to know that. Keep these posts coming!

ReplyDelete
  3. با خرید فالوور ایرانی اینستاگرام از ویوا فالوور 50% فالوور بیشتر دریافت کنید و به آسانی آمار پیج خود را ارتقا دهید. تمامی فالوورها با پروفایل های واقعی و ملیت ایرانی می باشند. در کمتر از یک دقیقه سفارش خود را ثبت کنید.

ReplyDelete
  4. بسیاری از افراد هنگام انتقال پول از چین به ایران با مشکل مواجه می شوند. یکی از خدمات اصلی شرکت چینیران حواله یوان به چین است. برای استعلام نرخ حواله یوان به چین روی لینک مقابل کلیک فرمایید.

ReplyDelete
  5. Thomas's profound knowledge in various academic disciplines allows him to offer specialized Take My Classes Online assistance across a wide range of subjects.

ReplyDelete
  6. That is something dordle I want you to know. Continue with your posts!

ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing, Your blogs are really good and informative. I got a lots of useful information in your blogs. Everyone was rushing to the mosque to pray. It was such a poignant reminder that underneath all the consumerism and capitalism of Dubai, religion remained the foundation estate planning lawyer near me. It is very great and useful to all. Keeps sharing more useful blogs...

ReplyDelete
  8. Dubai sounds like a captivating blend of opulence and tradition. Your vivid descriptions paint a picture of a city filled with contrasts and surprises. Safe travels to Sheffield, and enjoy your English literary adventures!
    New Jersey Expunge Order of Protection

ReplyDelete