Tuesday, 11 June 2013

It’s now Tuesday here in Sheffield and I have to say so far the whole trip has been a great experience (even the long haul flights). Flying over the deserts surrounding Dubai and the UAE was an experience I won’t forget. I knew it was surrounded by desert but I think seeing the harshness from above was something else altogether. The city itself was everything I expected and more. I loved the newness of it all and the distinctive times of the developments were quite fascinating to note from a planners perspective. One thing I was taken by was the lack of culture. For a city full of vastly different people and religions the culture was somewhat westernised and lacking. I found myself having to constantly remind myself this was in fact a completely different country and not just some very rich imagined city in Australia.

I don’t think the reality of the trip set in until we were coming in to land at Manchester and I saw the stereotypical English housing out the window and the green fields as far as you could see. Once we hit Sheffield all I wanted was to sleep for about a week! I woke around 10am and headed straight into town where it sunk in even more that I was finally out of Australia. Being anonymous in a city on the other side of the world is one of the most freedom giving feelings you can ever experience I think. So far we haven’t seen a great deal of the city however I think as the week goes on more will emerge and I will feel a little more “at home” so to speak.

The multi-disciplinary nature of the tour has so far been a great advantage as opposed to only focusing on planning. Planning plays a key role in everyone’s life and to see firsthand and have lessons on class and in particular the social effect of a de-industrialising city has been great. Often in planning I find myself focusing on the immediate physical developments and less on the cumulative effects of planning and development decisions on the social fabric of a city like Sheffield. I think the next 2 weeks will certainly be opening my eyes to how many underlying issues a regenerating city can and does face. You only have to look at somewhere like Geelong where the car industry looks set to disappear along with a large portion of the petroleum industry to see a local example of regeneration that will need to happen. I'm also looking forward to working as a part of a multi-disciplinary team to produce some creative work about themes present within the city.

Hopefully I will have some top quality photos to include in my next post!
- Chris Rowlands (Bachelor of Urban, Rural and Environmental Planning

3 comments:

1. Yeah, I hope so too! Can't wait to read your next post and check these awesome photos. Bye!

ReplyDelete
  2. Kronospoker situs penyedia Daftar Judi Poker Online Terpercaya, IDN Poker, capsa susun online, ceme online, ceme keliling, super10, omaha dan domino QQ terbaik dan terpercaya Indonesia. Kronospoker selalu memberikan pengalaman bermain judi kartu online terbaik kepada seluruh membernya.

Disini kami telah mendapatkan kepercayaan dan reputasi terbaik dari para member Poker Indonesia, Karena kami memberikan pelayanan kepada semua member yang bermain di situs kami.

Serta Berapapun kemenangan yang anda dapatkan akan langsung dibayar oleh Agen Judi Poker Online Terbaik Kronospoker, mau itu jackpot atau bonus lainnya.

Semua permainan yang tersedia dapat anda mainkan hanya dengan menggunakan 1 user ID yang akan anda dapatkan setelah melakukan pendaftaran akun di Kronospoker. Selain menyediakan permainan Online Poker, Kronospoker juga menyediakan game Domino QQ, Capsa Susun terbaik di Indonesia.

Pelayanan terbaik adalah prioritas utama dari Agen Judi IDN Poker Online Kronospoker. Kami menyediakan pelayanan customer service professional, sopan dan handal dalam bidangnya yang selalu siap membantu anda. Hanya dengan minimal deposit sebesar 10 ribu Rupiah, para pecinta permainan Judi Online dapat memainkan semua permainan yang tersedia di Kronospoker.

Ada beberapa keunggulan yang membuat Agen Judi Poker Kronospoker menjadi Daftar Poker Indonesia Online Terpercaya. Dan menjadi salah satu tempat wajib bagi para pecinta permainan judi kartu online untuk bermain. Diantaranya yaitu:

Dalam permainan judi online di Kronospoker, kami menjamin 100% player vs player. Dan itu berlaku untuk semua permainan yang ada. Semua murni tanpa adanya campur tangan robot ataupun admin kami.

Kronospoker memberikan bonus Rollingan paling besar yang berlaku untuk semua jenis permainan.

Proses transaksi yang cepat serta data para pemain dijamin keamanannya.

Semua permainan dapat anda akses dengan mudah melalui komputer, notebook, dan smartphone Android maupun IOS.

Situs judi online dengan winrate tertinggi. Win Rate dalam semua permainan di Kronospoker mencapai hampir 100%.

ReplyDelete