Friday, 7 June 2013

At this moment in time I’m sitting at the airport loving life writing this blog. In reality, however, I am sitting in an uncomfortable seat at the airport and it is 1.03 in the morning and I am tired and I just want to complete this before I’m off my journey! However, like with any trip, I expect this study tour to raise a few challenges, mainly cantering on group dynamics and completion of set-tasks.

Travelling with any group for a long period of time overseas can raise issues relating to personalities, friendships, cliques and even personal space. It can be hard to manage at times, as people, even one’s closest friends can ‘grate’ on you; it can be both tiring and frustrating. For me, managing this will require spending ‘me time’ and sticking with those who respect my own personal space, and keeping away from the cliques and people’s hang-ups on minor issues.

Completion of set-tasks. This could be a big issue for me. There is so much going on and so much planned on this study tour that I am unsure if I will find time to do research, write an essay, present or whatever else I have to do! I guess it will all be about that key word; balance. Making sure I have time to study and meet the tour requirements, spend time with friends and make the most of the experience. An experience I expect to be most memorable.

I honestly do not know what to expect of Sheffield. I have not looked much into the city, other than academic texts, so I am going in with no expectations other than a city with the themes of industrial decline and economic rebirth. How these themes have impacted the physical form of the city and it’s social life remains to be seen to me; but I’m ok with this. Increasing the suspense, eh?
- James McLean (Bachelor of Urban, Rural and Environmental Planning)

No comments:

Post a Comment